I have written this for all those guys who need super specific step by step instructions. I have tried to add absolutely everything in order to get you up and running in the fastest possible time. Forgive me if I seem to be over complicating the process by describing things such as USB cables, but you would be amazed by how many questions we get regarding the simplest most basic things. Hopefully this will help everyone.
The first thing to do before ANYTHING is to make sure that Cronus PRO is installed correctly and is updated to the latest version and that your CronusMAX is also updated to the latest version. This is Step 1 and should be done before you do ANYTHING else. It will also determine that everything is working correctly before you even touch a controller.
To connect the CronusMAX to your computer you will need a Mini USB cable. Make sure this cable is working for data and not just charging. The #1 issue users have is that the USB cable that they are using is for charging cell phones and not for data transfer and they think the CM is faulty. See this page that shows you all that you need to know about the I/O of your CM. The Mini USB cable connects to the PC PROG port (5) on the CM, you do not connect the output USB socket (2) of the CM to your PC when programming.
1. Download the latest Cronus Pro for CronusMAX from here <-----Do not download from anywhere else or perform an online update from an older version.
2. When installing to Windows 8/10 you may see a SmartScreen error - just ignore it and install (Click More Info > Run Anyway), Microsoft security throws up more false positives than a baby on a pea soup diet.
3. To check that everything has installed correctly and Cronus PRO is interfacing with our server, the Online library should be showing the latest community uploaded GPC scripts and the banner on the right will appear (we use this to show you our latest updates). If you can see everything you are good to continue to the next step. If not then you have some AV software or firewall blocking access. You should fix that before continuing.
4. Cronus PRO has a built in update option that checks if you have the latest version of Cronus Pro software or CronusMax firmware installed (again, you need to be online). An update usually brings new features, improvements, and bug fixes.
The update procedure is not performed automatically, simply select the Tools menu and you will see the options to update Cronus PRO or the CronusMax firmware.
5. Cronus Pro Update. Select Tools > Cronus PRO Update. If you have the latest version it will say that there is no update needed.
If an update is required it will tell you what the latest version is and you will be prompted to download, so click next to download and then click update. Cronus Pro will restart and you will see that it is now the latest version.
6. cronusmax Firmware Update.
You must first connect your CM to your PC via the PC PROG port and a Mini-USB cable (this must be a full data cable and not a charging cable. 9 times out of 10 when a CM will not update it is because of a bad USB cable, so if you have problems, try another mini-USB Cable. We have had customers with 5 cables and only 1 of them worked properly - there are many poor quality / power only cables out there that are useless for this kind of operation. CronusMAX PLUS is supplied with a compatible Mini-USB cable.
Click Tools > Firmware Update. If your CM is up to date with the latest firmware you will see a screen that looks like this:
If you have an outdated firmware then you will be greeted by this notice:
Note: If you have an older Cronus device and you have never upgraded to CronusMAX PLUS before, it will display as "Device Disconnected" and will not work with Cronus PRO.
You can also go to Tools > Firmware Update to manually check for the latest version.
The bottom left of Cronus PRO should also indicate that the CM is connected and will display the firmware version.
If your CronusMAX PLUS is USB HUB Compatible - the USB Hub logo will be color.
If you have an upgrade v1/v2 CronusMAX hardware which is not USB HUB Compatible - the USB Hub logo will be gray. If you require USB Hub support (Full Time PS4 Crossover & PS4 Wheel Edition Mode) you will need to purchase a new CronusMAX PLUS v3 model.
The Cronus PRO Status Bar should now read 'Device Connected CronusMAX Plus FW v1.XX'. You will also notice that the USB Hub logo is now color. This means that your CronusMAX PLUS hardware is USB Hub compatible. If it says version 1.XX but the USB Hub logo is still gray, then you have an older CronusMAX that is not USB Hub compatible and you won't be able to use features such as PS4 Full Crossover Support and PS4 Wheel Edition Mode.
I also whipped up this quick video guide to go through the steps in this guide:
If you need further help please create your own topic in the correct section, thanks.
Your Cronus Software and Hardware is now ready for you to setup your controller